Without a doubt, Toshiba and HP are two of the most popular and trusted contenders in the laptop community.
For this same reason, they are often pitted and compared against each other.
Although both are QUALITY BRANDS, offering sturdy laptop computers, there might actually be a better choice between the two.
This decision would boil down to: the ACTIVITY (for school, gaming, or work) and of course, your PREFERENCE.
Curious which one to go for? Keep on reading!
Table of Contents
- Toshiba: Roots and Rise to Fame
- Hewlett Packard (HP)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Verdict: Toshiba or HP?
Toshiba: Roots and Rise to Fame
Toshiba may have a smaller following than HP, especially in the computer industry, but this doesn’t mean it’s not a brand to trust.
For those who don’t have much idea who or what Toshiba produces – allow me to quickly give you a snapshot of Toshiba.
Aside from laptops, they also have home and entertainment systems, from small equipment such as microwaves and speakers to large ones like refrigerators and washing machines.
They are also engaged in infrastructure systems and construction.
The brand traces its roots all the way back to Japan. Like most Japanese brands, Toshiba carries quality, sophistication, and innovation in all its services and products – including the little personal computers.
One of the breakthrough inventions of Toshiba is portable computers, what we refer to now as LAPTOPS!
They were the first company to introduce laptops to the consumer market.
Since then, they have released various Toshiba models for different types of users. They were one of the first producers of 2-in-1 computers, touch screen laptops, to name a few.
Wait a Minute… Why Don’t I See Toshiba Laptops Anymore?
It’s unfortunate that production has been moved to a halt. In August 2020, Sharp took over Toshiba’s computer manufacturing arm and decided to indefinitely pause production of Toshiba computers.
BUT — if you have set your eyes and heart to a Toshiba laptop, do not be discouraged!
You will still be able to score refurbished or slightly used Toshiba laptops ONLINE.
- If you are in need of a cheap OR heavy-duty laptop for work or school, this could be an option.
- For avid computer collectors, this may be worth checking. Since production is discontinued, some Toshiba laptops are RARE because there are less units in circulation!
If you insist on trying out a trusted Japanese brand, Sharp actually released and rebranded their laptops to “Dynabook”.
In Asia and in the Western world, Dynabook is often used as business laptops. These laptops run on Intel processors, similar to most major brands today.
They are known for their solid performance and competitive pricing.
It may not a big brand today, but with the specs and features of a Dynabook laptop, it will be no surprise if it penetrates international markets in the near future.
It is good to see that Sharp continues the long tradition and mark of Toshiba which has long been a maker of quality but affordable laptops for the business market.
Pros of Toshiba Laptops
- Old laptop users or seekers will be able to find a GOOD BARGAIN with a Toshiba laptop. Secondhand Toshiba laptops are sold at budget prices; thus, a used Toshiba laptop will be sold at an even LOWER price than other major brands.
- Quality deal. Although Toshiba laptop computers are less expensive vs HP or other counterparts from other established brands, they are not sub-par or low-quality laptops. For students or professionals looking for a sturdy yet cheap laptop, a Toshiba laptop is worth considering.
- Toshiba laptop computers are equipped with a number of connectivity ports – so for those who want to avoid complications or buy an adaptor for their cords, Toshiba is a great pick.
Cons of Toshiba Laptops
- Not a popular brand. If you are “brand conscious” or put a premium label on the brand, a Toshiba laptop may not be for you.
- There is a limited supply since production has been discontinued. It may be difficult to get your hands on one but, there are still available units you can find online!
- A bit bulky. In comparison to other business laptops (i.e. Apple MacBook Pro or HP Spectre), Toshiba laptops have not evolved much and accepted the “modern look” of laptops, ie. thin bezel edges, seamless screen hinges, compact and reduced keyboard frame size.
- Since Toshiba laptop computers have been discontinued, you might also have a hard time looking for repair or replacement centers. You might also experience an issue connecting with technical support for your Toshiba laptop.
Choose Toshiba If…
You want a BUDGET but quality laptop. The features may not be as advanced as current ones but the last models from Toshiba would be able to last you years.
- If you are a student and need a daily computer to get you through school, a Toshiba laptop would be more than enough.
- If you also need a laptop that can support you when you do light work BUT would not break the bank, a Toshiba laptop can take you far.
Our Top Picks
Among the various options released by Toshiba, we tip our hats off to the Portege line and Dynabook Tecra models.
These are by far the best ones Toshiba laptop computers ever released.
- ▌Upgraded ▌Seal is opened for upgrade ONLY, from Base Model with Specis 8GB...
- Display: 15.6-inch HD (1366 x 768) Non-Touch Widescreen Display; Graphics: Intel...
- 8GB DDR4 DDR4, 3200MHz SDRAM Memory; 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. DVD-RW. This...
The units from these lines are HEAVY DUTY. They are built with magnesium alloy casing, plus Toshiba’s easyguard system – your savior from spillages and splashes.
Moreover, they have enhanced visual capabilities AND they offer impressive resolution – in simpler terms, high definition screens!
To further add to the overall customer experience, they have pre-installed a Toshiba proprietary cooling system and anti-glare coating.
These are features that are hard to find at the same price point as Toshiba. They increase overall user experience and at the same time, help make sure that your laptop reaches its maximum possible lifespan.
Hewlett Packard (HP)
Now, we will take a look at Hewlett Packard, or now simply referred to as “HP”.
HP has played a major role in introducing computers to households. It’s not only the longest-running computer manufacturer in the industry but also one of the highly trusted brands in the computer market.
Even if they are the longest-running manufacturer, they have been able to keep a huge demand for their products at a steady pace.
Throughout the years, HP has been able to release different laptops and models that are specific to the needs of their target audience.
For example, they have a wide influence in the serious business market of first-world countries.
When gaming machines were gaining more market share, HP was also able to keep up. Any gamer would be able to find a sturdy machine for serious games from a variety of HP laptops.
Now Comes the Best Part
HP laptops strike the BALANCE between quality and price.
Although highly unlikely, should you be experiencing any issues with your laptop, all units are covered with their standard warranty that spans for 12 months.
When it comes to price, Toshiba has the upper hand.
If we compare similar laptops from both brands, it’s no doubt that HP has higher-priced units than Toshiba.
However, it’s worth it!
You do get more for what you pay.
For instance, they generally have better laptop performance and run on more advanced battery technology. Moreover, they have strong tie-ups with Intel, one of the trusted processor manufacturers in the world.
Pros of HP laptops
- It’s the more sound choice. If you have a little wiggle room in your budget, an HP laptop would give you more bang for your buck vs a Toshiba laptop.
- MORE features! HP has been known for integrating the latest innovation and tech advancements in their products. Tech savvys will be able to appreciate their laptop improvements.
- Wider selection. Ever since, HP has produced more options than Toshiba. HP may be able to give you an option that would meet your preferences.
Cons of HP laptops
- More expensive. It’s expected that these HP laptops would cost more than counterpart options in the laptop market. They normally come with extra features that can add up in the price.
- For a multinational company, they don’t have the stellar support service one might expect. In comparison to major players in the market, HP has room to improve when it comes to customer service.
Choose HP If..
You need a new laptop that is packed with power for business or gaming sessions. The clear direction would be to go for an HP laptop. HP may cost more than Toshiba but every dollar will be worth it.
Our Top Picks
- Newly Launched HP Spectre x360 13T Cutting Edge GEM CUT Design - 10TH GENERATION...
- UNMATCHED AUDIO PERFORMANCE with QUAD Bang & Olufsen speakers: The partnership...
- SUPERIOR SPEED and NETWORKING: Fast Data Access with 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD...
- 15.6" diagonal, FHD (1920 x 1080), IPS, micro-edge, BrightView, 250 nits, 45%...
- 512GB SSD, 8GB DDR4 SDRAM
- Optical drive not included, Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5 combo
If you need a laptop that has sleek looks and powerful performance, these are your top HP laptop picks.
These HP laptops run on a reliable processor and graphics card, which maximizes its crystal clear display. All this power is encased in an aluminum body.
In addition to their ultra-high definition, they are extremely lightweight and sturdy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Toshiba or HP Better?
It depends on what you’re looking for.
Generally, I recommend HP for anyone looking for a new laptop. However, for those who need a quality budget laptop, Toshiba will still be a good contender.
What Is the Difference Between Toshiba and HP Laptops?
The main difference would lie in the price.
Surveying two similar laptops from both brands, HP produces more expensive laptops. However, it may not matter as much because Toshiba has recently stopped production of their laptops.
Those who are looking for solid business laptops and gaming laptops, go for HP laptops.
Another difference is the innovation between both brands.
Because of Toshiba’s discontinued laptop production, Toshiba falls behind on adding specs and hardware that allows it to compete with other laptops.
For hardcore gamers, for example, HP is a more practical option than Toshiba.
Are Toshiba Laptops Good?
Definitely! They may be lesser-known but the features and quality of Toshiba laptops are of high standards.
Which Laptop Is Better Than HP?
As with any choice, it all boils down to preference. There are a number of quality options in the laptop market.
Some prefer Microsoft laptops, some would rather use iOS computers. Based on the latest data provided by Statista in 2021 [R], Lenovo ranks as #1 in terms of market share, coming in at 24.1%.
HP comes in at 20% which also shows just how many consumers prefer HP. Other great brands include Dell, ASUS, Acer, and Apple.
Verdict: Toshiba or HP?
There you have it!
Taking into account the recent events, HP laptops would prove to be a better and more sound choice. However, if you meet the user profile we have mentioned above, Toshiba might be your best deal.
Let us know which is your favorite!